Coding: Considerations and Controversies
PART 1. What is the difference in:
scripting, programming and/or coding? What other terms are analogous?
PART 2. How many programming languages are out there? Which would be the most useful to learn first? Or do you feel none are important to learn?
PART 3. Pick one of the six sections below, read the entire article or watch the movies and share what you learned and your personal thoughts:
- (1.) Teaching our Children to code, a Quiet Revolution. England will become the first country in the world to mandate computer programming in primary and secondary schools. Should America do the same? Why?
- (2.) Computers are the future, but does everyone need to code? What's the point? What side are you on? Why?
- (3.) Computer Programming | A short interesting film. What's the message? What do you think? What should we do as GenYES?
- (4.) Computer Programming is a Dying Art. Understand what MUSE is and what is the potential? Are we giving computers too much control?
- (5.) Don't believe anyone who tells you learning to code is easy! What is the author's advice? Did you feel better or worse at the prospect of genuinely learning to code after reading this?
IMPORTANT READ THIS! This weeks blog is a bit longer than most and worth 100 points. You will have time in class to work on it as well. The expectations are higher. Do real exploration of the topics, analyze what you read and write over 200 thoughtful, intelligent words to gain full credit.
The knowledge you glean here might directly impact your future.